Build modern productivity solutions with Office.
Timebox. Triangulate. Optimize. Triage. You could create an entire language out of productivity buzzwords—but jargon doesn’t help you hack new ways to get things done. Building productivity solutions that make a bottom-line difference for companies and organizations takes imagination–and some powerful APIs.
Hack Productivity presents you with a new coding challenge for business: use the intelligence of Microsoft Office, Graph, and SharePoint to build apps with a modern approach to workplace efficiency and collaboration.
The Microsoft Office APIs let you build directly into the industry standard for productivity software, using the language of your choice—Angular, Node.js, ASP.NET, Objective-C, or any other—and running on most major platforms, including Web, Windows, iPad and Mac. The capabilities of Microsoft Graph enable you to build smarter apps by connecting to Microsoft services through a single endpoint. SharePoint fills out your toolbox by letting you build content sharing, discovery, and collaboration into your apps.
Use Microsoft Office, Graph, and SharePoint to help all kinds of businesses—large enterprises, SMEs, non-profits, home offices, and schools—do their best work.
Hackathon Completion Prize (200)
Microsoft t-shirts (valued at $10) for the first 200 developers, including team members (limit of 5 per team), who submit a completed eligible application
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, who have reached the age of majority in their eligible jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry
- Organizations that, at the time of entry, have been duly organized or incorporated and validly exist, and employ 50 or fewer people (Organizations that employ more than 50 people will be eligible for a non-cash recognition prize)
- The competition will welcome submitters from most countries around the globe. Residents and organizations of the following countries/regions are not eligible: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Brazil, Quebec
Employees of Microsoft, Devpost, and contractors currently under contract work for Microsoft or Devpost are not eligible.
If you are employed by a public sector organization, please review the rules pertaining to prize fulfillment to a public sector organization employee.
Main Requirement: Create or update a working software application that improves productivity in the workplace. Applications must be one of the following:
- An Office Add-in, which comprises an Add-in for SharePoint or Microsoft Office;
- A SharePoint Framework web part;
- An Office 365 App, which is an application that calls Microsoft Graph or an Office 365 REST API (Users, Groups, Mail, Calendars, Contacts, Files, Tasks, People, Notes ); OR
- A Mobile Office App, which is a native app for mobile devices that calls Microsoft Graph.
- If you have any questions or issues around the Microsoft Office APIs, please join the Microsoft Office developer community on StackOverflow to get resolution.
Submit the following along with your application:
- A demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku). Your video should include a screencast or demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo.
- Please submit at least one image/screenshot of your application.
- A way to access your working application for judging and testing—here’s how to do that.
Language: All submission materials must be in English, as well as all written materials. If the video, text description, and testing instructions are not in English, an English translation or subtitles must be provided.
How to enter
- Register for the Hack Productivity hackathon.
- Sign up for an Office 365 developer account, or get an extension on your existing account by emailing email@example.com. (More details here.)
- Visit the Resources page to learn more about the required tools, the sign-in flow to the Office 365 Dev Portal, and productivity scenarios.
- Find a teammate (optional). Do you have the UX chops, but need someone who can code? Are you a genius coder, but need some design flair?
- Build your app!
- Shoot your demo screencast video and take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Provide a way for us to access your solution.
- Make sure your entry adheres to all the requirements and submit on devpost.com before 5pm ET on January 31, 2017.
GM Office Apps Marketing, Microsoft
CVP Developer Evangelism, Microsoft
Software Engineer, Telemetry, Microsoft Office
Software Engineer, Microsoft Office
Sr. Software Engineer, Microsoft Office
Software Engineer, Microsoft Office
Extent to which the solution improves organizational or individual productivity or in the workplace
Relevance to platform
Extent to which the solution makes use of the Office, Microsoft Graph, or SharePoint APIs.
Quality of the idea:
Includes creativity and originality of the idea or use case